[OM] Re: [OT] Configure a new PC - which processor

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Configure a new PC - which processor
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2007 15:16:46 -0700
Jez Cunningham wrote:
> Thanks again.
> This particular Dell is offered with 1GB, 2GB or 4GB but it has 4
> slots.  I figure I'll start with 2GB (2x1024) and consider upping it
> later to 3 or 4.

I started with one (2x512) in the box for the simple reason that extra
memory was cheaper separately and added 2 (2x1024).

There is REALLY no point to 4 gb on 32 bit windows. There's some tricky,
awkward way to address memory above 3gb. But, you won't get to use much,
if any of the last gb anyway. It's all explained on the MS web site,
albeit not straightforward to find (I wonder why?)

Something about the combo of 32 bit Windoze and Intel processors limits
direct addressing of memory to 4gb.* Within that address space all the
hardware that requires direct addressing must be accommodated. So, for
example, 512mb of memory on a video board needs address space within the
4gb, so half of the last gb you paid for is simply mapped out of memory
into limbo. By the time you add the other hardware that needs memory
address space, most or all of that last gb is gone, you never use it.

I seem to recall that the MS paper said a typical installation has 200mb
or less free in the last gb. That's why I only bought 3gb and, since I
have no interest in games, but do hang a lot of hardware on my machines,
a 256mb video board.

Moose

*  I understood it when I read it. There are some rather entertaining
rants by techies about the stupidities that led to this situation. I
can't remember who gets the lion's share of the blame, Intel or MS.