[OM] Re: [OT] Configure a new PC - which processor

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Configure a new PC - which processor
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2007 15:49:53 -0700
Richard wrote:
> 32 bits Windows means the base unit of addressing is 32 bits, and 32
> bits means a maximum number of 4 billions (well 2 to the power of 32
> or 4294967296 anyway). That's the theoretical max placed by the unit
> of addressing. Windows adds other constraint as you said so 3 GB is
> about the max for Windows.

Yeah, there is some way to swap blocks of physical memory into and out
of the 4gb space, but I don't think it can be worth it.
> Another consideration is that Photoshop (up until CS2 anyway, not
> sure about CS3) has problems using memory greater than 2 GB...

CS2 on my machine shows 2664mb available and I have 82%, = 2184mb as max
to be used by PS. That's about twice what I had on the old, 2gb machine,
and leaves more for other apps, too. Whatever, it works very well.

Moose