[OM] Re: Maine Clouds - 2

Subject: [OM] Re: Maine Clouds - 2
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 00:22:16 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> The situation that brought this up was processing a lot of images in
> camera raw and adjusting shadows and highlights to avoid clipping.  But
> my corrections were apparently too tight to the limits
I think you misunderstand how H/S works. It automagically expands both
ends of the histogram right to the end. Indeed, unless you set the See
More Options box and set White Clip and Black Clip to 0, it will, by
default, clip a tiny bit. Unfortunately, at least in CS2, you can't set
White Clip to a negative number to reserve space at the end(s) of the
histogram.

> after further adjustments in PhotoShop (mostly LCE and further sharpening for
> printing) I discovered too late that I had introduced a modest amount of
> highlight clipping by accident.
Once you have used S/H, there is no headroom at all. So it is no
accident when LCE/USM clip, but to be expected. S/H is magic for some
uses, but not without its price.
> To avoid falling off the cliff I suppose I should simply not run too close to
> the edge.
I use Brightness/Contrast after S/H to gain headroom while adjusting the
amount of shadow clipping I might want, if any. Then I can use LCE
without clipping. the amounts to use in B/C are a matter of experience.
Again, this in in an Action that puts it initially in a separate new layer.
> I guess I'll have to pay more attention to the histogram in the future but it
> would
> have been nice to have a live preview of clipping in all brightness
> altering functions ala ACR.

Did you try the Action I posted? It really works, almost instantly, to
show if and where you have a problem. If you include the addition of a
duplicate layer as part of the Action, you can just delete it when
you've seen what you need to. And the warning is there when you are
doing it - if you watch the little, live histogram as you work.

Moose