[OM] Re: Digital Black and White

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital Black and White
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 10:25:07 -0600
usher99@xxxxxxx (Mike) wrote:
> Hi Chuck,
>
> A bit of an aside, though ran into a series of photos using this
> software to extend dynamic range.
>
> Likely not necessary for scanned negatives, and have seen even .jpgs
> manipulated in PS to accomplish a similar task.  It looks fast though.
>

> http://www.hdrsoft.com/index.html
>
> Saw some nice images with it on a Zoto site, though many have a
> surrealistic overdone look, IMO.  Wonder what you or anyone thinks
> about it.  They do compare it to some PS manipulations, though they do
> not use the more elegant processing of many list members to fix these
> problems.
> In any event, thought you might find it interesting.

**SIGH**

Well, looks like it's time to remind the Assembled Ones of a link I
first posted about a year ago, to what I believe is *the* definitive
article on High Dynamic Range, by my close friend Royce Howland, one of
the moderators over at Naturescapes.net:

      http://tinyurl.com/e5dqp

Read it, know it, live it.  You'll be enlightened.  And you'll stop
accusing HDR of producing "surrealistic overdone" images (it's a
particular misapplication of *tone-mapping*, which is a way of
[mis-]using the additional dynamic range info in HDR-capable images).
Yes, AG, I especially mean *you*.  ;-)

Garth

P.S.:  Royce just showed me a B&W photo he took of a Greek Orthodox
church he ran across on our trip to Crete a couple of months ago.  I was
blown away by the HDR processing he did.  It's quite capable of fixing
those little detail problems in the toe and shoulder areas of a digital
B&W image.

Now all we need to do is to get the manufacturers to create a camera
that does in-camera HDR capture, so the technique won't be limited to
[relatively] stationary objects/landscapes.  Hello, Olympus?