[OM] Re: IR film --- Kodak HIE

Subject: [OM] Re: IR film --- Kodak HIE
From: "Wayne Harridge" <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 09:55:33 +1000
> Most films are intentionally not sensitive to much IR for practical
> reasons. IR is also called heat, and true IR film has all sorts of
> handling sensitivities. You wouldn't want to hold a roll in
> your fist,
> for example, or you will fog the outer part.

I haven't found this to be an issue with HIE.

> Dimples in
> pressure plates
> have been known to show up as a ghostly pattern in IR shots,
> and so on.

This is mainly due to the fact that HIE doesn't have an anti-halation
backing, so some IR will be transmitted through the film, reflect off the
pressure plate and then register an image on the film.  You can cover the
pressure plate with a piece of 120 film backing paper to eliminate this
problem or use a camera with a flat pressure plate (check the pressure plate
in the OM-2000 - you might be lucky !).

> Also, as someone else pointed out, a C-41 film needs to be even les
> sensitive to IR, as some automatic processors use IR sensors.

This doesn't apply to any OM bodies, but some modern cameras with built in
winders also use IR to sense when a frame's worth of film has been wound so
these are also to be avoided.

...Wayne