[OM] Re: Digital Black and White

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital Black and White
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 08:39:55 -0600
Something else I should have mentioned -- Photomatix, like many apps
available over the Web these days, has a demo version available on their
website you can play with.  It doesn't handle Olympus camera raws very
well IMHO (it seems to be biased towards Canon and Nikon raw formats),
so I first use PS CS3's ACR to create a 16-bit TIFF of the three (or
more) Olympus images I want to create an HDR image out of, then combine
and manipulate those TIFFs in Photomatix.

I've tried using Photomatix on a burst of three images exposed at -1, 0
and +1 EV on the E-410, but really, the "spread" of dynamic range in
those three images isn't that huge, so it doesn't show the details very
dramatically.  On the other hand, the E-1 has the capability of taking a
five-frame burst at -2, -1, 0, +1 and +2 EV, which is better for
combining into an HDR (you can just use the -2, 0 and +2 frames), but
with (say) a Canon 5D, you can program a burst of -4, -2, 0, +2 and +4
EV, and now you're cookin' with Mazola!  I've seen some jaw-dropping
output from such an exposure series after being run through Photomatix.

Garth