[OM] Re: Some pics

Subject: [OM] Re: Some pics
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 13:25:39 -0600
Chris Barker wrote:
> Thanks for those, Garth.  I am interested in that portrait: it's
> charming, but the effect is interesting.  The skin on your niece's
> face looks beautifully soft/luminous in that light and I don't
> understand how that has happened -- apart from your being a fantastic
> photog, of course :-)

Yes.  Yes, that's it exactly.  ;-)  (Let's not forget that Tess is in
her early teens, which is the best "beauty secret" I've ever heard of
for women...)

Hokay, time to open the kimono.  As I wrote previously, all of the
photos were lightly post-processed.  And PS plugins can be your best
friend.  This particular portrait benefits from a very light touch of a
plugin from Alien Skin Software called "Exposure."  In this instance, I
used a subdued setting of "Color film --> Soften - Diffuse Glow," which
to my eye looks a lot like the way I used to use a low-power fog filter
when taking portraits at weddings, 'cept there's no introduced flare.

Wish I could take all the credit, but I'm also blessed with good
subjects.  With all of the aforementioned going for me, you'd have to
work pretty hard to screw up.

Garth