[OM] Re: [OT] The pale general

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] The pale general
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 20:31:34 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> I don't use anything but sRGB for any purpose.

Actually, you aren't using any profile at all, at least in the saved
file. The posted JPEG does not have an embedded profile. So it doesn't
really matter whether a browser is or isn't color aware in this case.

That explains Marc's result that it looks the same in color aware or
unaware browsers.

Also, you are confusing two somewhat related, but different, things, icc
profile and color space. Dr Mento is not clear enough in his own head to
tell me how to explain all this to me, let alone you, but we agree that
without color profile in it, you abandon any hope of controlling how it
is displayed.

At random, I can observe a few things.

- Your monitor icc profile is in use in any application you are running,
correcting the data stream to the monitor. The app has no idea that what
it puts out is being modified on the way to the display.

- So if the same image appears different in different apps on the same
machine and monitor, it does not necessarily have anything to do with
the monitor profile, probably doesn't.

- If you have your input and/or output color settings in PS set wrong, I
think it may possible to alter the appearance of a file simply by
opening and saving it. Take a look at the Color Settings (Crtl-Shift-K).
As you move your mouse over the options, interesting and potentially
useful info appears in the box at the bottom. There is also at the top a
suggested search string for PS help. (See, even Adobe know that's the
way to find stuff in their help file.)

- If you have your RAW converter outputting sRGB, work in sRGB and save
with an sRGB profile (click the appropriate box in the Save As dialog,
for example) and have a color aware browser,I think you have a fair
chance of the image looking the same in both PS and the browser. And it
should look much the same for anyone else with pretty much any browser
and a calibrated monitor. But I'm not sure I've got all the steps there.

Moose