[OM] Re: The pale general

Subject: [OM] Re: The pale general
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 09:00:04 -0400
No, there is no flaw in Moose's logic which is impeccable as usual. He
has solved the problem or at least the source of the problem.

I commented earlier that I never use anything but sRGB.  Well, so I
thought.  Since installing CS3 a few months ago and using ACRS for
conversion I have unwittingly been converting my images to Adobe RGB.  I
finally noticed the Adobe RGB flag at the bottom of the ACRS screen this
morning after Moose's comment.  I couldn't find any preferences setting
to control this and when I changed it on the conversion screen it
appeared to work only for the single image.  Then I tried changing it
again later and discovered that the change persisted across images and
folders.  Apparently, a change there is only persistent if the image
being displayed at the time was loaded from Bridge.  I often use Breeze
Browser instead of Bridge so that was adding to my confusion.  Actually,
the interface to ACRS seems to have been forgotten save for the actual
pixel brightness manipulation controls.

Anyhow, the web image you saw was downsized for the web by Breeze
Browser which assumes sRGB for web display and doesn't bother tagging
the image with the color space.  So I don't think anyone has yet seen
the general in quite the way he's supposed to look.  Now I'm trying to
figure out how to preserve the original sRGB color in an sRGB image and
will repost it when I've done that.

Chuck Norcutt