[OM] Re: In Praise of the Epson P3000

Subject: [OM] Re: In Praise of the Epson P3000
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 21:50:29 -0400
You have a serious performance problem somewhere.  2 minutes is about
what you should expect for a 1GB SanDisk Ultra II connected to a decent
USB 2.0 reader... somewhere around 8-9 MB/sec.  If something is taking
15 minutes it's not USB 2.0.

My old machine had both USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 connections and once in a
while I'd accidentally plug the reader or, heaven forbid, a backup drive
  into the wrong socket.  Then a large backup might run the better part
of a whole day and night instead of a few hours.  I doubt seriously that
the problem is the reader.  It's what it's plugged into on your
motherboard.  If you still need the USB connection on that machine
perhaps you should invest in a separate USB 2.0 PCI card.

Chuck Norcutt