[OM] Re: BLM Battery Covers

Subject: [OM] Re: BLM Battery Covers
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 15:05:38 -0400
And not just 3rd party batteries.  Sony had some embarassing Li-ion QC
problems and has had to recall approx. 10 million Li-ion batteries
affecting numerous products.
<https://esupport.sony.com/perl/compatibility.pl?comp_project_id=7>

There's a shot here of a notebook whose battery got a bit toasty
<http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/19/sony-battery-recall-approaches-10-million-costs-mounting/>

If the big QC conscious companies can sometimes get it so wrong what do
you think you might get from ebay for $3.95?  BTW, Texas Instruments
sells a charge/discharge/short circuit safety control chipset for Li-ion
batteries.  Last I looked these were about $2.50 each in quantities of
about 10,000.  Guess what is probably not in your ebay battery.

Chuck Norcutt