[OM] Re: Fwd: Media Release: New Canon EOS 40D Delivers Speed, Control a

Subject: [OM] Re: Fwd: Media Release: New Canon EOS 40D Delivers Speed, Control and Quality Destined to Inspire
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 09:21:31 -0400
Of particular interest to Canyon users I think might be this
announcement which I think might be underplayed here.
<http://www.dpreview.com/news/0708/07082007canonefs18-55and55-250.asp>

These look like two new "kit" lenses for 1.6X crop factor sensors (since
the 18-55 is rumored to retail for $199)  But scroll to the bottom and
notice the much simplified IS mechanism which is claimed to be good for
4 stops or as good as any previous Canyon IS mechanism in the most
expensive lenses.

The previous kit lens was about $100 so it appears they can add IS to a
lens now for $100.  These lenses won't do me any good but perhaps
there's other stuff coming down the pike.

Moose says that Tamron has a new 28-300 that also has IS so perhaps the
future of IS is looking brighter due to greater availability and lower cost.

Chuck Norcutt