[OM] Re: Fwd: Media Release: New Canon EOS 40D Delivers Speed, Control a

Subject: [OM] Re: Fwd: Media Release: New Canon EOS 40D Delivers Speed, Control an...
From: Tim Hughes <timhughes@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 14:20:01 -0700 (PDT)

--- Nathan Wajsman <nathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I will not be buying the new Canon (I am perfectly happy with my 1D2)
> but as far as I can see, this must be the beginning of the end for
> medium format backs.
>
> Nathan

>From their press release it does sound like they are targeting the medium
>format holdouts with
that camera.
When you see how heavy and large that camera is with a battery and lens,it is
like a medium format
in all but sensor size!

Interesting how they sound like they are using the cache and some "in common
specs/features" of
that camera, to market their top end p/s also just released. A sort of coat
tails marketing for
high end wannabe DSLR owners. In a sense though they *then* may compete using a
simpler camera
("but better sensor")at a prices similar to low end Oly and Nikon DSLRS in the
~$500 range and
still get a premium for non-ff DSLRs in the ~$1000 range.

Marketing and pricing must be a nightmare for these camera companies with such
rapid model
development cycles.

Tim Hughes