[OM] Re: Fwd: Media Release: New Canon EOS 40D Delivers Speed, Control a

Subject: [OM] Re: Fwd: Media Release: New Canon EOS 40D Delivers Speed, Control an...
From: "Ian Nichols" <ian.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 11:17:48 +0100
On 22/08/07, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The real champ appears to be the S5 IS. It has all it's functions
> available during video recording, IS, zoom, AF, etc. It's longest clip
> is 30 min. but that's 4gb at 30 fps.
> <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons5is/page8.asp> The SX100 60 mins.
> has to be either 15 fps (most likely) or much more compressed.
>
> The S5 is a 'real' video camera, with a separate shutter button for
> video. Set up for still and something pops up, just push the other
> button for video. It can which can also take a full rez still image in
> the middle, puch the other burron, with only a short drop out in the
> video. It's the one I'd go with for a combo at the moment.

I'd suggest that if might be better, if you just want a point & shoot
that does video, to look at devices that are movie cameras first and
still cameras second.  Something like Sanyo's Xacti range, which are
pretty compact little things, reasonably OK still point & shoot but
will record 640x480 pixel movies at 30fps with a 5x optical zoom and
use up about 1GB per hour.  That's just the cheap ones.  The more
expensive ones do HD video.

You might want to avoid the VPC-CA6 model if you'll be wanting to use
a tripod though, as the missed out the socket on that one.