[OM] Electronic shutters, was : Media Release: New Canon EOS 40D Deliver

Subject: [OM] Electronic shutters, was : Media Release: New Canon EOS 40D Delivers Speed, Control an...
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 09:10:59 -0400
No, the high speed is not due to small mechanicals but rather the
"electronic" shutter.  But that requires an interline transfer sensor
(ala point & shoots) rather than a full frame sensor and DSLR's do not
now use interline sensors.  As I understand it, interline sensors have
less total surface area devoted to actually catching photons because of
then need to place componentry on the front surface.  But something
analogous has to be going on with live view so maybe DSLR's will
eventually move to an interline form of sensor.

"Full frame" as used here has nothing to do with the size of the frame.
  See this Kodak page for a definition of the differences and use of
electronic shutters on interline sensors.
<http://www.kodak.com/US/en/dpq/site/SENSORS/name/ISSProductFamiliesRoot_product>

The part I have not yet understood on the Mynolta A1 is the actual
interplay between the mechanical and electronic shutters.  The only
thing that's clear to me is that the mechanical shutter must obviously
be opened before the electronic shutter can do anything at all.

Chuck Norcutt