[OM] Re: Nikon releases D3, D300

Subject: [OM] Re: Nikon releases D3, D300
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 22:29:00 -0700
Winsor Crosby wrote:
> They are also claiming a 300 percent increase in dynamic range which
> would be a little over 2 stops.
Compared to what? Sorry, I don't see that in scanning the PR stuff.

The D200 has the same dynamic range at low isos, as measured by
dpreview, as the 5D, but it starts dropping at iso 800, as noise cuts
into the shadow range, and is down 2 stops by 3200. Given a competitive
sensor system on FF, the claim of increased DR, at least at higher isos,
seems reasonable.
> Big pixels might help in that area too, but one has to take announcement
> puffery with a grain of salt.

The number of stops, who knows? If comparing to earlier single digit D
series, no data at hand.

Moose