[OM] Re: Nikon releases D3, D300

Subject: [OM] Re: Nikon releases D3, D300
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 00:12:23 -0700
Andrew Fildes wrote:
> Ah, I see that Meese are like elephants - they never forget a slight,
> no matter how oblique.

Nor a compliment!

Actually, I find your thesis pretty good:

" The argument goes something like this -

1. For Brits and many Europeans, irony is the standard mode of speech.
2. For Americans, it is not – they use a more direct mode.
3. Consequently, Europeans tend to see murrkins as a bit simple or
gullible and
4. Murkins see Europeans as devious and deceitful."

I do however, disagree with your viewpoint as to which is the more desirable
mode. Communication is difficult enough when trying to be relatively direct.
When you have to guess whether another is having you on, or having to think
twice so as not to be thought hopelessly straightforward, it can become a
burden.

I do understand that clear communication is not always the primary goal of most
users of irony. (Sop for my 'murkin readers.)

I wonder if it has anything to do with the huge increase in alcohol related
disease in the UK over the last few years, now astonishingly higher than
anywhere else that reports the statistics.

> I always sort of think of Moose as Canadian anyway
International, really, at least in the Northern latitudes of Americas
and Europe. They aren't much concerned with human national boundaries,
although perhaps they should be.

Moose