[OM] Re: #270

Subject: [OM] Re: #270
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 19:30:30 -0400
This is the first Z. 50 f2 macro shot in the excellent thistle series
that had a bokeh issue. In general all had much nicer bokeh than the
usual with the 50/3.5   Bokeh is a strange bird being aperture/distance
to background dependent. Graham's shot below has nicer bokeh than I've
ever seen with my 50/3.5 though the latter does a fine job if I want
things super sharp edge to edge.

http://www.geebeephoto.com/2007/07259.htm

Was looking at Pnet for comments on the D3 and noticed that the 50mm
Nik's often have bokeh issues:

http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00MKYs

Interesting comment that the double gauss design often have harsh bokeh
with the tessars being much better.

The Z. 50 1.4 in general seems to have nicer bokeh than the 1.8 as
Moose has pointed out in the past.

Have seen examples posted where even the Z. 90 f2 had suboptimal bokeh
at certain distances to the background or foreground at some apertures
where most times it was sublime.

Mike (not sure pining for the 50 f2 has abated)

Yes, I was going to make nearly the same comment. Very nice shot with
good DOF separating subject and background but strangely harsh bokeh.
Some gaussian blur on the background makes it much more pleasant to
look
at. I've not noticed the same problem with my 50/3.5 but don't use it
much and when I do I tend to be much closer to the subject so there's
not much background visible.

Chuck Norcutt

http://mail.aol.com