[OM] Re: [OT] little rant on e-mail politeness

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] little rant on e-mail politeness
From: Doug <dhsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 09:43:07 -0400
On Saturday, August 25, 2007 09:31, Piers Hemy wrote:
> Appearances can be deceptive.  Our local post office (pictured and
> described here:
> <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/6180737.stm> )is
> fully computerised, and well able to cope with export shipments.  Although
> Mary did undercharge me on one occasion, by not pressing the right button
> for a signed-for shipment.  She rang me the next morning to tell me that
> she had corrected her mistake, and I could pick up the tracking number and
> pay the extra next time I called in.  But in the meantime she had sent the
> parcel anyway.  In that respect, yes, back in the dark ages of when people
> ran the system, rather than vice versa.

My post office is a small town one and it varies greatly with who the
postmaster/mistress is. Some are very good and some you want to hold a mirror
in front of them to see if they are still alive. The best I had for shipping
stuff was a woman who was an ebayer herself. She knew exactly how to get
something anywere. Unfortuneitly she was soon promoted to a bigger job. She
also was a good example why one should be careful being less that honest with
descriptions, because you really don't know how influential the person on the
other end of the line is. She had a purchase of a doll go bad with the
description being much less that advertised. I bet that within a month
everyone in town that dealt with ebay knew about it.