[OM] Re: Source for clear plastic filter cases

Subject: [OM] Re: Source for clear plastic filter cases
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 10:16:24 -0400
I got the filter cases and step-up ring the other day from USA
Liquidators <http://stores.ebay.com/Usa-liquidators>.

The 72-77mm step-up ring for $5.95 is as good as any other ring I own.
I first tried a 77mm Pro-Master UV filter (came with a lens and never
used) and was disappointed when there was obvious thread dragging
between the filter and the adapter ring.  Then I tried the B+W polarizer
and they went together smooth as silk.  It was obvious then that the
problem was with the cheapie Pro-Master filter and not the adapter ring.
  It's black anodized aluminum but well made and the threads well finished.

The filter cases are a different story.  The larger filter cases I judge
to be acceptable, the smaller ones are borderline.  Both are about 1mm
thick and of lesser thickness than, say, Tiffen or Hoya cases of the
past.  They tighten together with a molded ramp which acts like a cam.
On the larger cases this cam is an adequate looking structure but still
light weight in comparison to the filter brands.  On the smaller and
lighter cases the cam is almost non-existent and locking isn't as tight.
  The case will flex enough that the top half of the case can ride up
and over the cam on the bottom.  Even when carefully adjusted the two
halves can be easily pulled apart.  I don't think they'd just come apart
in your bag but probably would eventually with wear from opening and
closing.  Also the foam pad on both is pretty chintzy.  The large case
has open cell foam about 2mm thick.  The small case has closed cell foam
but it's only about 1mm thick.  I will keep these cases but expect that
I'll eventually have to hold the smaller one together with a rubber band.

I have new respect for my clamshell, polyethelene B+W case with its 8mm
of quality closed cell foam and square shape which makes it easy to
grasp the filter at the corners.  However, I will not be surprised if
the polyethelene latch eventually gives out too and has to be held with
a rubber band as well.  B&H sells three sizes for $5.95 each compared to
the $4.50 for 5 pieces from USA Liquidators.

Chuck Norcutt