[OM] Re: Canyon Ee-s focusing screen and Zuiko 135/3.5, was: Source for

Subject: [OM] Re: Canyon Ee-s focusing screen and Zuiko 135/3.5, was: Source for
From: USHER99@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 19:53:41 EDT
Hmmm,
Dr. Focus has had a busy day.  Thanks for posting your  observations.  Would
have thought the Ee-s screen would be too dark with  slower glass.
I wonder if a custom diopter with astigmatism correction wouldn't be  useful.
Perhaps I'll need to try to twist the arm of the optometrist whose
office is next to mine and check if this is possible.  (May as well  make 2
or 3.) I'm not sure why Canyon
even sells diopters with a +0 power.
The bright screen is $$$ more and always worried that the downside might be
trouble with fast Zuikos.  Below is
a note from Rachel at Katz Eye.  I can't imagine she would  mind.   They no
longer have any technical hurtles that held
them up before but they have not deemed it economical to sell anything for
the 5D yet. Arrgh.

Mike

"Regarding the brightness and focusing of fast glass, that is a  legitimate
concern and loss of focusing ability is commonly the case with  brightness
enhancement techniques that apply a coating to the screen.   Essentially,
what those coating techniques do is cut down on the diffusion  (and by
extension, the focusing contrast or 'snap') by smoothing over the  surface.
I don't want to single anyone out by name, but that general idea is  the
traditional brightness enhancing technique that's been around for a  while
and is used by most of the other companies you can find offering  brighter
screens.  Our process is significantly different,  however.  We do not coat
the screen and we do not simply smooth over the  surface.  The details of our
OptiBrite treatment are of course  proprietary, but we actually change the
structure of the plastic at the  microscopic level in a very controlled way
to modify the scattering profile  for a specific result.  What this allows us
to do is maintain the  overall level of diffusion so that the focusing
contrast remains high and  focusing of fast glass is still optimal.  But
within the overall  diffusion profile, we can preferentially augment specific
scattering angles  to increase the amount of light that reaches the eye.  So,
to make a  long story short, the OptiBrite treatment we offer on the Katz Eye
screens  does not have a negative impact on the focusing of fast glass as is
the case  with other brightness enhancement processes."

I did some tests today which only left me confused.  I used the 85/2

manually focused at f/2, 2.8, 4, 5.6 and 8 but all shot at f/2.  Was the

best shot focused at f/2.  No, the best one was focused at f/8.  The f/4

shot was grossly out of focus and the others were pretty close to being

in focus as judged by using the Tokina 28-80 at 2.8 in autofocus mode.

But I didn't feel really bad since even one of the autofocus shots was

as bad as my worst.  Not sure what happened there.

All of this caused me to question my shooting without glasses.  I use

only the built-in dioptric adjustment which does not correct for my

astigmatism which is maybe worse than I realize.  So I tried another

test using the Tokina in both auto and manual focus modes but this time

I changed the dioptric adjustment so that all was correct using my

reading specs.  Then I was able to take the sharpest shot of the day by

focusing the Tokina (using the DOF preview) at f/5.6 and (without

thinking) shooting at f/5.6 instead of wide open at 2.8.  Focus or DOF.

  I don't know.  I'm tired of testing and going to quit for the day.

Anyhow, I don't really believe the Ee-s screen is an impediment to

manually focusing above f/2.8.

Chuck Norcutt