[OM] Re: Panorama Heads

Subject: [OM] Re: Panorama Heads
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 07:13:38 -0400
Your noodling is a lot more practical.  Even if your waterfall pano was
printed on a moderately wide carriage printer (24 inches) it would make
a 2x5 foot print at 170 ppi with no interpolation.  Viewed from 18-20"
even someone with 20-20 vision should not be able to see any pixellation
at 170 ppi.

I'll have to keep in mind for the future that the horizontal pixel size
for a 5D is 4368 pixels which gives 182 ppi uninterpolated on a 24"
print.  And for the 10MP E-things it's not much smaller.  With 3648
pixels available you'd get 152 ppi on a 24" print or 203 ppi on an 18"
print.

It should also work well for interiors.  A 35mm lens in vertical format
covers about the same vertical height as a 24mm lens in horizontal.  And
a 28mm lens in vertical format gives about the same as an 18mm in
horizontal format.  Stitching a few of these together will give a very
high quality image with plenty of pixels for perspective correction if
needed.

Yeah, why do we want to do multi-row panos?  The heavy duty, single row
Jasper Engineering device is looking better if you're going to shoot
panos of close objects.  Maybe not needed outdoors but definitely
indoors.  But, if we're going to stick to one row it's also very easy to
build your own custom pano head from wood and especially easy if you
built if for a single camera/lens combo.
<http://photography.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=photography&cdn=hobbies&tm=20&f=10&tt=2&bt=1&bts=0&zu=http%3A//www.creativepro.com/story/feature/12727-2.html>

Chuck Norcutt