[OM] Re: Canyon Ee-s focusing screen and Zuiko 135/3.5, was: Source for

Subject: [OM] Re: Canyon Ee-s focusing screen and Zuiko 135/3.5, was: Source for clear plastic filter cases
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 08:09:03 -0400
And in the light of morning and a few cups of coffee I realize that I
didn't forget to open up since I was shooting in manual mode and all
exposures (which were correct) were taken at the same shutter speed.  It
was just dumb luck that I nailed the focus while focusing at f/8.

I've also realized that maybe I tried to set myself a too difficult goal
for aging eyes.  I was trying to shoot everything at f/2 from
approximately 1 meter (just outside the 85/2's min. focusing distance of
0.85 meter).  The DOF for 85mm at one meter and f/2 is only about 16mm.
  Big, big premium on focusing being absolutely spot on.

I also realized that I don't have to involve the MF Zuikos since I can
use the AF Tokina and get direct MF/AF comparisons.  And for testing the
effect of focusing with slower lenses I can just close the aperture down
and focus while holding the DOF button down.  It also has the advantage
of everything shot with the same lens.

I have to think about this some more.  What makes a reasonable test of
MF focusing capability?

Chuck Norcutt