[OM] Re: SLIDE DUPLICATING - 5000ºK LIGHTBOXES with OLYMPUS E-1

Subject: [OM] Re: SLIDE DUPLICATING - 5000ºK LIGHTBOXES with OLYMPUS E-1
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 16:33:07 -0500
Dave,

Well, not to be rude, but this is obsessive compulsive at its most. I
honestly have never known a professional photographer that has profiled his
digital camera, and while it may be a good idea, I can't believe the effort
will pay off sufficiently.

I do know, however, plenty of photographers that put various cards and
charts in photos where it is possible. It seems that the guy that gets the
best overall results uses a plain grey card or a black/white combo. He uses
the reference in photoshop to get his color balance, simply reading the
numbers.

Another shoots artwork for a decent sized museum. He has used a full chart,
just as he has for the 4x5 chromes he previously shot. I don't know if he
continues this, but if I remember, I'll ask the next time I see him.

I continue to assert that profiling one's monitor gets you 90% of the way
there. I would think that if the monitor is properly profiled, a camera
profile wouldn't do that much more.

If you are shooting large amounts of similar photos that you wnat to process
in groups, however, you might have something to gain.

Bill Pearce