[OM] Re: Fwd: Media Release: New Canon EOS 40D Delivers Speed, Control a

Subject: [OM] Re: Fwd: Media Release: New Canon EOS 40D Delivers Speed, Control an...
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 18:02:14 -0700
Tim Hughes wrote:
> Moose,
>       An interesting, because rather small p/s with 28mm equiv WA, with some
> ok video capability,
> (but some other problems) is Panasonic TZ3:
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonictz3/

I thought this was a very appealing camera, on size and specs. Even did
some playing with sample images. But when I overlaid the studio shots
from dpreview with those from some others, it became apparent that there
was a serious loss of detail to the NR compared to relatively comparable
cameras from other makers, even at lowest iso. A shame, but I know what
I do with images and it would have driven me crazy..
> Unfortunately along your previous comment, they took out the video zoom
> capability on this p/s,
> versus the previous version!

Probably got too many complaints about noise from the zoom on the audio
track. That's the usual reason for that limitation.
> One thing I don't like in general with most digi p/s, is there are so few
> with decent native W/A
> capability. It seems default is about ~35mm equiv on 80+% of these cameras
> now.
I have wondered whether it's a result of market research or simply a
technical/cost thing - or just inertia?
> A W/A is so much more useful than a long tele, esp in a p/s.

That's such a personal thing. Tele is relatively more important to me
than WA, although I like to have both.  :-)   A fair number of WA needs
can be met with panorama technique. And some P&Ss even have a special
mode for panorama. It locks exposure with the first shot and shows a
translucent 1/3 of each prior shot on the side of the LCD to help with
overlap alignment. I know some Cs have it, and assume others may.

Cropping for tele is less desirable. Much as I love the F30 in other
respects, the 3x - 108 mm zoom feels constricting. I looked at several
alternatives, including the TZ3 (love that 10x!). I ended up with the
A710 IS for several reasons; twice the tele, IS to sort of make up for
iso noise, the available hack for RAW, live histogram, zebra, DOF, etc.,
and the capability to use aux. lenses. And it's about a stop faster at
the same fl as the end of the F30's range.

As to WA, the aux. lens gives a 24.5 mm eq. FOV. The downside is that
it's relatively big, heavy and awkward, but the IQ is excellent. There
are several P&Ss that can use aux. lenses, so that's a way to meet your
WA needs.

 I had never intended to get aux lenses, but there was a used set of
adapter, WA and tele in like new condition at a decent price, so....

The tele is pretty decent too, but requires more care and technique (368
mm eq.). Haven't used them seriously yet, just test shots so far.

Moose