[OM] Re: Back on the list; scanner questions

Subject: [OM] Re: Back on the list; scanner questions
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 11:51:50 +0100
Moose wrote:
> Chuck Norcutt wrote:
>> I don't have Vista..... It's possible the 2906 driver would run the Acard
>> SCSI adapter that comes with the Scanwit.
>>

> I certainly don't know about Acard. I am running an Adaptec 2930CU card
> under Vista and the XP driver from Adaptec works. They have a new one
> for Vista that I haven't tried yet.
>
> An important thing to know about Vista and drivers - it is not uncommon,
> in my experience, for the driver installer to not be Vista compatible,
> but for the driver it installs to be fine under Vista. So the trick is
> to set the properties for the installer for compatibility with an
> earlier version of Windoze. It then runs fine the one time it is needed
> and the driver is OK too. It seems that most XP drivers are fine with Vista.

I tried this with the Acard drivers, but it didn't work.  I also tried
Chuck's suggestion of seeing if the Adaptec drivers would run the Acard,
but that didn't work either.  So it seems that if I want to carry on
using my Scanwit I'll need to buy an Adaptec card and vuescan.  I'm
slightly torn between that and investing in a new scanner with USB,
which would be a lot quicker (I think).  Edging towards investing in
new, and am quite tempted by the Espon 4990, having now read reviews and
seen scans from it.

> As to the Plusteck scanner, I did some looking into it a while ago and
> was not impressed. I think there is a thread in the archives.

I was a bit suspicious, given the price and the claimed resolution.  I'm
definitely cooling on the idea of buying it - thanks very much for the
information.

Roger