[OM] Re: iStock

Subject: [OM] Re: iStock
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 06:31:02 -0600
AG Schnozz wrote:
> Chris Crawford wrote:
>> No. I refuse to give my work away while some big corporation gets
>> rich off me work.
>
> Amen, bro.  No one raindrop thinks that it is responsible for the
> flood.

Er, iStockPhoto's a local Calgary company, and by no stretch of the
imagination would I call it "big."  More like "entrepreneurial startup."
  And while some here on the List might sneer at such an effort, it's
been truly helpful to some commercial photography startups --
particularly in the former Communist Bloc countries -- in establishing
themselves.  Here's a good example:

      http://bubutim.com/

Much the same way that Renderosity or DAZ (for 3D artists and modelers)
have helped many otherwise ordinary folk bust into the world of high-end
3D modeling.

I've never contributed anything to iStockPhoto, but that's only because
I don't think my images are anywhere near good enough.  (I *have*
contributed some free 3D models to PoserPros, though...)

Garth