[OM] Re: iStock

Subject: [OM] Re: iStock
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 16:39:42 -0500
> As for those who bemoan the new business models--they can stay on
> their high horse. The market for stock photography has changed, and
> trying to charge $500 for a generic stock image today is akin to King
> Canute sitting on the beach and ordering the tide to stop. He got wet
> feet.

Let's look at new and old. In the pre-digital age, stock photos were shot by
professional photographers who made all or part of their living by selling
stock, and supporting themselves and their family, sending the children to
college, etc. In todays world, stock photos are all but given away by
amateur photographers who, after selling a bazillion, use the money to buy
another memory card.

Not wanting to sound like Jan, but I see the term 'new business model" most
often used as a description of a way for a few wildly successful people to
get what they want by spending the least amount and supporting the fewest.
Has the market changed? Sure. Now, Bill Gates is soon to be the only one to
make money off stocks. I hope he notices the difference in his income.

Bill Pearce