[OM] Re: iStock

Subject: [OM] Re: iStock
From: Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 15:47:50 -0600

On 8/28/07 3:23 PM, "AG Schnozz" <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> But don't BUST MY CHOPS ABOUT IT.
>
> We'll agree to disagree here.  Personally I find the $1 photo
> industry to be destructive. Even though I could make some money at
> it, I choose not to be a part of it.  But that's my choice.
>
> AG

Thanks AG,

Istock feeds off the foolish who give their work away for an ego boost. I
don't need an ego boost. That won't feed my little boy, it won't pay the
rent, it won't pay my taxes, my equipment costs, or my utility bills. I
simply cannot work for free, and if people are not willing to pay for what I
am doing, I will do something different and I will still refuse to give away
my work.

Photography is becoming something that has little/no value and I think
that's unfortunate. I've been for several years transitioning to graphic
design and website work because I find that these are more profitable.
People are willing to pay, without question, a decent fee for designing an
advertisement, a brochure, or a website and I find that my clients have a
lot more respect for my work because there aren't any idiots selling
websites or ads for $1. I rarely do any commercial photography anymore
unless the client is having me do graphics work too and I offer photography
as another service to them. Most people just looking to hire a photographer
think that you should shoot their photos for $25 and I simply can't do that
and feed myself and my son. Sorry.

--
Chris Crawford
Photography & Graphic Design