[OM] Re: iStock

Subject: [OM] Re: iStock
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 08:52:47 +1000
Part of that argument would deny us the use of just about any
machinery - how many farm laborers were thrown out of work by the
Industrial Revolution - over 200 years, almost all of them and that
was 95% of the population in England. This will always happen and it
will always be sad and painful but it is also inevitable in
inexorable. Progress is a curse in progress but we will adapt and our
children benefit.
Most of the kids that my cousin trains to be commercial photographers
will never make a living out of it. He is having difficulties with
his administration and would like to get out a BE a commercial
photographer but he knows that to be successful, you have to be about
26 years old - the same age as the art director who hires you. They
don't like to hire older, wiser heads no matter how good their skills
as it's threatening. So he writes books for Focal, beta tests for
Adobe and anything else that will make money and does well, better
than most commercial photographers in fact.
Like it or not, there are millions out there who think they have
great images and skills and will sell at any price to prove it to
themselves because 'I sell my work' is a great boost to their self-
esteem. And a lot of them will find out that they don't have what it
takes as well. But not a single one will think about starving
photographers and their families, any more than we do when we buy a
cheaper imported product in the supermarket or department store.
My uncle was a pro who had a business knocking out his pix in brass
and copper frames (he started in metalworking) through gift shops. He
had nice shots of geebee style landscapes and cathedrals by night but
the big seller by a factor of ten was a a piece of sentimental dreck
depicting a child with a pleading dog. I'll bet there's still a
thousand of them hanging on walls in Britain. He fed his family. Now
let me think - I can take a great arty image, manipulate it, have
printed, matted and framed at some expense and stick it on the wall
at the local café with a $350 price tag on it and wait...and
wait...and wait. Or I can take a photo of a puppy in a basket, turn
it into postcards, giftware and stick it on iStock and make some
money. Hmmmm....
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx