[OM] Re: iStock

Subject: [OM] Re: iStock
From: Paul Braun <cygnus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 07:53:20 -0500
Andrew Fildes wrote:
> Once upon a time I tried leadlighting as a sideline (what you call
> stained glass but isn't). Except that the cost and effort of making
> certain types like lampshades was soooo much lower in Asia so that
> was the end of that and the only survivors are the truly, highly
> skilled doing commission work and churches. And they struggle as the
> bread and butter stuff disappears overseas. Ah well, try something else.
> The cost and effort where? No point in making a beautiful product if
> no-one can afford it or can see that value in it.
> Otherwise we'd all have Leicas and Wetzlar would be making some great
> products.

My wife and I had a stained glass studio for 10 years.  We finally had
to give it up because we got tired of not being able to pay the rent and
our bills.  Near the end, the most common complaint was, "I can buy
stained glass for my cabinets for less than a quarter of your quote from
the local home improvement store.  Why should I pay you?"  We couldn't
get anyone to understand the difference between cheap, mass-produced
stuff coming from China and Taiwan and custom-designed and crafted
pieces, made to their specifications.  They just didn't care, refused to
be educated, and we finally gave up.  When you could buy a lamp for $140
that we couldn't touch for under $350 or $400, we knew it was time to
get real jobs and close down.

Plus, we were getting burned out from having to do everything that came
in just to make rent.  Some people have zero taste, and when you're
desperate for money, you can't tell them, "No, I won't make it with
those colors, because it's offensive to me and offensive to nature."

--

Paul Braun
Valparaiso, IN

"There's a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon