[OM] Re: iStock

Subject: [OM] Re: iStock
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 08:02:44 +1000
Exactly - breaks your heart. I made bird window hangers - parrots,
cockatoos and kooabkurras - a friend had a little assembly line going
at one point (but mine were better!) Neither of us could compete in
the markets or gift shops around here - you can't exactly hang a
label on it saying - 'this took two hours to make and it's worth it'.
People were buying really horrid acrylic pseudo-glass imports instead.
As my granny said, 'you'll never go broke underestimating people's
taste' as she sold another plastic bowl of plastic fruit with a sad
and bewildered look on her face.
There's an interesting semantic difference here - round these parts
we talk about leadlight and tiffany but 'stained glass' is strictly
reserved for the skill of assembling panels where the sections have
been hand painted, as in most church work. Those guys are still doing
just fine.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx