[OM] Re: Digital workflow, was: Some OM-photos!

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital workflow, was: Some OM-photos!
From: Steve Dropkin <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 19:11:47 -0500
Chuck Norcutt wrote:

> I don't understand this dislike of the "digital workflow".  There's no
> reason why the digital workflow has to be any different than a film
> workflow unless you choose it to be.  You can shoot JPEG's and drop off
> or send your digital images to your favorite processor just like you did
> with film.[snip]
>
> Where's the beef?

Perhaps using the phrase "digital workflow" is misleading. Some of
it must be the camera. My OM-1 (or, in this case, the Oly Ody OM-1n)
just seems very easy to meter, focus, set DoF. Adjustments are easy
to make on the fly -- maybe because pretty much any control I would
want to change quickly between shots is accessible to two fingers on
the lens barrel -- the same two fingers which determine aperture
priority or shutter priority as fast as I can decide which I want.

On the E-1, controls I might want to use quickly between shots
either are in different places on the body or need a little setup
first. Maybe my fingers aren't "E-1 trained" the way they're "OM-1
trained". Maybe they don't receive the feedback the OM provides. The
E-1 viewfinder is not as kind to the eye and I still haven't trained
myself to use the LCD screen. Maybe I just need to log some more
time on the E-1. But using the OM is automatic. I can concentrate on
the photo and not think about the tool. Using the E-thingy still is
an effort, more than a year-and-a-half after I bought it.

And then there's what comes after. I'm not much on post-processing,
so I'll leave that out of the equation. But digital demands some
post-picture activity, because chimping and looking at thumbnails is
no comparison for even a 3" x 5" or 4" x 6" print). Sharing pictures
is harder because storage formats and operating systems come into
play. Everyone has a pair of eyes; not everyone knows how to use a
thumb drive.

I'm not saying I'm anti-digital or going to sell my E-1. I just got
a reminder of how much my OM pretty much stayed out of the way and
let me create photographs. I still don't feel that way about my E-1.

Steve