[OM] moosterizing skills (thread name change)

Subject: [OM] moosterizing skills (thread name change)
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 07:52:11 -0300

----- Original Message -----
From: "Moose" <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2007 2:41 AM
Subject: [OM] Re: Digital workflow, was: Some OM-photos!

> Wayne Culberson wrote:
>> Thanks for all who've replied to this. The one without the church
>> building
>> is the original size of the scans from Dwayne's Photo. I uploaded it
>> thinking maybe someone might be able to paste the church into it, but
>> maybe
>> that is making too much of a fake photo.

> Guess you didn't notice, that's what I did. Easier than trying to
> eliminate all those lines on such a small image. Didn't feel like
> cheating to me - it is the same rainbow.

Wow, Moose, now I am impressed. No, I did not realize that is what you did.
But I was wondering how you recovered the detail of the second rainbow. When
I took the photos of the rainbow that includes the church, the secondary
rainbow had somewhat faded, although it was still there. It does show
somewhat in the slides.

>> On my monitor, the lawn in front is still  almost black. The one I
>> printed
>> that way printed almost black also at Walmart. It would be nice to have
>> just
>> a bit of detail showing there, if it can be done without lightening the
>> sky
>> too much.
> It certainly can be done, as sky and foreground are on different layers.
> However, that's already how it looks on my monitor. Texture and
> graduations of greens are clearly visible. So I was aiming for the same
> thing you want. In fact, there is no true black in the lawn at all,
> according to my "99% black finder" action.

I think I will trust your monitor, before mine. Whatever is done with the
brightness, Walmart's (or whoever) auto-printer-machine will do what they
want with it anyways.

>> The sky around the rainbow was really quite dark with a dark
>> cloud, and the sun was directly behind me as someone has astutely
>> observed.
>>
> Simple observation, since rainbows only appear with the light quite
> close to perpendicular. Especially full scale with equal brightness side
> to side and with a secondary arc.
>> The way it is in your photo is as I remember it. The double rainbow was
>> also
>> showing quite plainly.
>>
> It's not as clear in the smaller shots with the church, another reason I
> dropped in the other shot. I did bring it down in brightness to rather
> match the church shot.
>
> Moose

The other photos are on their way to the site this morning, hopefully
without my server balking too much as it normally does. Maybe they might get
there by the time morning arrives in California :-).

 Again, thanks so much. I am hoping to get these printed and will be giving
copies to all our folks at the church. Many of them are seniors, and I'm
sure they would appreciate a photo of their building like this.

Wayne