[OM] Re: Another 4/3 cam and lenses.

Subject: [OM] Re: Another 4/3 cam and lenses.
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 15:12:20 -0500
> Read it again. It says something about the initial
> excitement at PMA and lackluster sales. I never
> actually saw the older Panny but the write-up says
> that it is a heavy beast. Looks like Panny might have
> a winner with their new offering.

Ali,

Just did, and I was only a bit surprised. I have handled the panaleica, and
I though it was one of the better handling dslr's. Much more so than the
E330, which I did find to have the ergonomics of a cinder block.

I didn't mind the weight, which I felt was about average compared to other
higher range cameras. I'm not too concerned about weight, but I suspect that
this is a generational thing. Younger camera buyers are used to wonderbricks
that contain only a bit of metal here and there, so this camera may seem
quite heavy compared to what they have experienced.

If there are sales problems, I don't think the camera itself is the problem.
I saw one in a Best Buy, and am unaware of a "real" camera store that stocks
that brand, except for something like B&H. If I was a typical affluent
camera buyer shopping for a advanced DSLR, I would have a choice of the
Panasonic, the 5D, the Sony Alpha and occasionally a D200. I think in the
average person's mind, Panasonic is distinctly downscale from the
alternatives. Looking at a Panasonic for $2,000 against a 5D at about
$2,400, I would go for the Canon knowing nothing about Panasonic cameras.
Their image is of a mass market manufacturer of steam irons, toasters and
average quality consumer electronics. Their job is to make their flagship
camera desireable.

How the Leica version has sold, I don't know, but their distrubution channel
is so small, I can't imagine they sell many.

Bill Pearce