[OM] Re: Another 4/3 cam and lenses.

Subject: [OM] Re: Another 4/3 cam and lenses.
From: "Ian Nichols" <ian.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 21:40:49 +0100
On 31/08/2007, Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yes, digital readouts have their limitations.
>
> The first aircraft I flew with a head-up display (HUD) had almost
> exclusively digital readouts -- for altitude, airspeed and Mach
> number.  That was the Jaguar 1978 - 1982.  When I got to the Tornado
> GR1 in 1985 the digital readouts were complemented with analogue
> indicators.  The trouble with digital readouts is that they give an
> instant indication but no idea of trend, nor of passing values,
> whereas an analogue readout gives you trend and instant, if
> approximate, value as well.

Hmm, on the motorcycling list I frequent, some have commented
favourably on the modern trend to have a digital speedometer and
analogue tachometer.  The digital speedo gives an accurate indication
of instantaneous speed (which is important if you're trying not to get
flashed by a speed camera) and the analogue tacho gives you the trend
and an easily assimilated impression of where you are in the engine's
rev range.  I've never used that system, but it makes sense to me.