[OM] Re: OM's in demand?

Subject: [OM] Re: OM's in demand?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 19:52:55 -0700
Leandro DUTRA wrote:
> What we want is something to continue shooting film with minimal risks
> and maintenance, and we are already tired of trying to make the OM-10
> work again… that is why the manual preference.

An OM-10 isn't worth much cost/effort, especially those with serial #s
below 2 million. They had plastic curtain rollers and the interior
mechanical design put the shutter release magnet where it got oil on it
and stuck really easily. Later ones and the OM-20 have metal rollers and
a redesign below the mirror box. Less prone to sticky magnet syndrome
and easy to clean at home.
> She does intend to shoot manual in the future, as she's a painter… she
> wants the feeling of the medium.
>
>> FWIW, there are a fair number of OM-4 bodies with the Ti circuit in them
>> from repairs, often a newer circuit than the one in older vintage
>> OM-4T(i) bodies. They are cheaper and electronically at least as
>> reliable as a T(i). Info here.
>>
> Very interesting, but I don't think it wise to spend on something that
> will eventually die beyond repair, specially as repair options for me
> are basically null.
In your shoes, I would buy 2-3 OM-1 &/or OM-1n bodies, easy to do on
this list (I and others have extras we would sell.), have them sent
directly to John for CLAs, then sent to you. If it would help, you could
make sure they were great inside, but not so cosmetically great for
customs. And they need not know about the CLAs - just well used old
cameras, bought cheap.

With newly CLAed bodies, and a spare, you would be good for a looong time.

Moose