[OM] Re: [OT] Off to Maine, folks...

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Off to Maine, folks...
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2007 08:38:30 -0300

>From: "Moose" <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>

> We will be visiting Acadia too. Fortunately, a friend has a wonderful
> house on Mt. Desert, off Pretty Marsh Rd. So we won't be roughing it.
> This is the view from her back yard.
> <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/MPhotos/Maine/MtDesert/MtDesert/pages/Marsh.htm>

And coming in September has the added bonus of many vacationers gone,
because of their kids being back to school, thus thinning the crowds a
little and making it easier to find a parking space for your "cah" in "Bah
Hahbah"

> This will certainly be a photography trip. Rough itinerary:
>

> Fish camp on Moosehead, side trip to Baxter St. Park, or maybe
> Jackman/Moose River for good food and to get a new Moose hat?

Have you climbed any of the trails up Mt Katahdin in Baxter Park? I've done
some from both sides, never to the top, but have gone as far up as Chimney
Pond. I wouldn't even think of trying it to the top in September, as the
days are just too short for me to make it up and back in daylight. In Baxter
Park, take the short hike into the small pond (called lake eveywhere else
'cept in Maine :-) which leaves from Roaring Brook Campground. It is only a
few minutes walk, mostly all level walking, and if you go early in the
morning or nearer dusk, you will almost certainly see moose feeding in or
around the lake. I've taken pictures of moose there that were closer than 10
yards from me, but you likely won't be that lucky, and even I was getting
nervous at that distance. It's likely the best place in the park to see
moose, unless you are really into hiking. But then again, maybe you have no
interest in moose pics.

> Mt. Desert/Acadia, probable Thai food in Ellsworth, much traipsing
> about, maybe Flying Mountain
> <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/MPhotos/Maine/MtDesert/FlyingMtn.htm>.
> No full Moon over the marsh this year.
> <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/MPhotos/Maine/MtDesert/MarshMoon.htm>
>
> Freeport/Portland, LL Bean outlet, other retail entertainment. Bought my
> favorite pair of shoes in Freeport two years ago.

I've found some excellent bargains, some just this summer, in the LL Bean
outlets in Bangor and Ellsworth. I think it helps to be out of the normal
clothing size ranges, which I guess, ahh-hemm, I am.

> Moose

wayne