[OM] Re: E-3 announcement

Subject: [OM] Re: E-3 announcement
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 12:13:04 -0700
I would disagree on some of the things you say, David.

I don't know of any camera maker that is on a 9 month pro camera
replacement calendar or even consumer and mid level DSLR models.

I am surprised to see that you would consider sensor dust to be so
important. About 90 percent of DSLR users deal with it without
problems and consider it a minor, but occasionally needed task like
cleaning a lens. It would seem to me that ergonomics and image
quality are more important since there is little you can do about
those items once you buy the camera.

So far Olympus or Matsushita in the case of the sensor have not
demonstrated any special technology advantage. Large pixel size still
seems to be the main determinant of image quality with small
variations given by on chip or post chip processing. A 4/3 sensor
with 8MP has pixels almost exactly the same as the pixels in a 12 MP
APS chip like the one in the Nikon D2X. Both are noisy above ISO 800
with a slight advantage to the Nikon in the tests I have seen. A full
frame 12MP like the one in the Canon 5D, a medium priced camera,
moves quality even higher with lower noise floors that enable higher
dynamic range.

A second point in this area is that when pixels get really small as
in small digicams Matsushita is more clueless than other camera
makers when it comes to dealing with digital noise. Fairly
consistently they choose a crude level of noise reduction that
completely obliterates fine and not so fine detail. If they had
discovered some new tech in this area I believe they would have
demonstrated it here, as FujiFilm did.

As I pointed out before,  slotting the E-3 in the mid range, leaves a
hole at the pro level. So your E-4 speculation could be right. Or
not. They could have decided, seeing the sales figures for Canon 1Ds
and Nikon D2X cameras compared to the midrange models of their lines
that there is no profit in it. Olympus has clearly stated their goals
as enough sales to clearly capture the number three spot. While a pro
E-4 might make them look more like the big two, it might really
gobble up scarce development money needed to produce the high sales
models needed to meet their sales goals.

But as you said, let us see what happens.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA