[OM] Re: OM's in demand?

Subject: [OM] Re: OM's in demand?
From: Jim Couch <zuikoholic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 22:41:14 -0700
Winsor

I seriously doubt that Olympus will release a FF body. What would be the
point? Who would buy it? What would they use for a lens mount? They have
no lenses for it unless you want to count 25 year old manual focus OM
glass - which we may love, but won't set the world on fire. Develop a
whole new one? I doubt it. They have made their bed with the 4/3 system
and will be sleeping in it (for better or for worse) for a long time.
(or not?)

As far as Olympus going after the #3 spot, I think that the 4/3 has good
potential with the amateur and prosumer markets which is really where
the bulk of the sales are anyway.

I am guessing that the big announcement hinted at on Johnston's blog
will be a FF Sony body. If Sony really has a FF sensor it would make
sense to do a Minolta mount body. Sony has got to be wanting to get to
that #3 spot and the Sony/Minolta DSLRs could do it for them.

A more remote possibility would be a Pentax FF.

As for the XA - nobody seems to get it, including camera manufacturers.
I would LOVE a fast (f2.8) fixed lens (wide angle) APS or 4/3 sensor
compact camera, especially if it would provide RAW output. hat would be
a perfect climbing camera for me. Forget these little mini super slow,
super silly zoom things they sell these days. Alas, i don't see it
happening any time soon.