[OM] E330 now or wait for E-3

Subject: [OM] E330 now or wait for E-3
From: "William Sommerwerck" <grizzledgeezer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 02:27:06 -0700
> I guess I know the answer, but when I see they are discounting
> the E-330 for around 550 USD or 270 UKP now here in Switzerland
> I am certainly tempted. Whilst I know the E-330 is great for macro etc,
>  will I see any improvement in other areas over the E-1 I have now.

> I will probably wait for the E-3 but as I say its very tempting.
> Although the Canon 5D is also still on my radar.

I wouldn't overlook the E-500, if you can get it. It makes unbelievable
8x10s -- and excellent 12x18s -- from tiny image files. You can shoot at
1200x1600 and 2.7:1 JPEG compression -- which produces a file of about
1.4MB -- without worrying about whether you can get a good enlargement. You
will get a good enlargement... You will.

This raises the issue of where and how you should make your prints. I have
one word to say to you... Are you listening? "Costco". I'll cover this in a
future post.

The Canon 5D is an amazing camera at an amazing price. I bought one and
several lenses last year when Canon offered rebates. You'll have to buy new
lenses for it. But Canon offers a much wider range of lenses than Olympus,
and they don't cost any more. (Olympus lenses have always been rather
pricey.) And, of course, you can stick these lenses on a Canon film body. (I
picked up a used EOS-1V body, just in case I need to shoot film.)

The 5D -- not the E-500 -- is the "replacement" for my OM system. Though my
homeowner's policy covers anything I don't use professionally, I still
haven't worked up the guts to take it out of the house.