[OM] Re: Badlands Big Dipper

Subject: [OM] Re: Badlands Big Dipper
From: Marten Beels <mbeels@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 06:34:52 -0700 (PDT)
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 23:08:18 -0400
> From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [OM] Re: Badlands Big Dipper
>
> The stars are called Mizar and Alcor.  I used to be able to see them
> (40
> years ago) but I don't think I can any more.  But it doesn't take a
> lot
> of magnification to reveal that Mizar itself is double and composed
> of
> Mizar A and Mizar B.
>
> Chuck Norcutt

And, apparently, going even further, Mizar A is a spectroscopic binary,
and Mizar B is also a binary, making Mizar a quadruple star system,
although I'm sure that would take a lot more magnification (and/or
spectroscopy).  (based on Wikipedia's entry for the Big Dipper)

Marten

Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.