[OM] Re: de-activating "format" on my E500

Subject: [OM] Re: de-activating "format" on my E500
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 22:42:42 -0400
Also heed the advice not to delete images in-camera unless absolutely
necessary.  It greatly complicates the job of the recovery software in
the event of an accidental format and will pretty much guarantee lost or
damaged images unless every image is exactly the same size (no
compression of any form, such as Oly raw files).  If you never delete
images in-camera all images are stored sequentially.  When you delete
images in-camera you create an empty hole that the camera may try to
fill.  If the image to be written is too big to fit in the hole it will
be broken up into smaller chunks.  The recovery software may be unable
to recognize some of the chunks and may truncate the first chunk
thinking all the image is there and then may concatenate another chunk
belonging to that image to another image that precedes it.  Not good.

Chuck Norcutt