[OM] Re: [OT] monitor problem and questions

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] monitor problem and questions
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeffreyrkeller@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 21:01:25 -0700
My post was just a quick note to point out that the light received by
the eye is very different between an LCD and a CRT.  I'm not surprised
it is unsatisfying.

Borrowing from the ever helpful and readily available Wikipedia

When a row line is activated, all of the column lines are connected to
a row of pixels and the correct voltage is driven onto all of the
column lines. The row line is then deactivated and the next row line
is activated. All of the row lines are activated in sequence during a
refresh operation.

At one time I think there were variations on this method of displaying
a row at a time. Some of the early LCD TVs cause motion distortion
similar to a vertically traveling camera shutter except if I remember
correctly it was imposed on blocks rather than across the whole row.

Vague memories are probably still unsatisfying but may jog someone
else's memory.

Probably Andrew's comment about the persistance of the human eye
affecting flicker is a much better directed answer to what you were
thinking about.

-jeff