[OM] Re: [OT] purchased 226BW

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] purchased 226BW
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 10:30:13 -0700
Good point, and your other point is just as important, at least to
me. If the contrast varies so badly from the top to the bottom of the
screen, like a laptop display, it would be hard to tell what you are
getting.

There really is a difference between displays. When owners complained
of banding on some of the early Nikon D200 cameras and posted images
with examples I thought they were crazy because many times I could
not see what they were talking about. It was because I was looking at
their images with my laptop which has a pretty good display as far as
laptops go. When I looked at their images on my desktop with its LCD
the banding jumped out at me. It was not subtle at all.

A few companies have made serious efforts to improve image quality
and staking their reputations on it and a lot of others are pretty
much packaging a commodity LCD adequate for business use for a cheap
price. My general rule with buying electonics for a long time has
been to avoid the price leaders which usually have made awful
compromises in design to meet a cheap price, or the top of the line
which is usually the same as the medium priced model with a few extra
little used features. Aim for the middle.

Not to discourage anyone who has ordered one of any brand, but take a
really good look at it before deciding to keep it.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA