[OM] Re: The one dollar digital camera

Subject: [OM] Re: The one dollar digital camera
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 16:14:52 -0400
No, I didn't mean pixel peeping at 1:1 but with a full-sun, 400x400 JPEG
image you couldn't tell if it was taken with a top-of-the-line DSLR or
$99 point and shoot.

And I wouldn't call what you did "normalizing" or "dumbing down" but
rather screwing around with the image.  A "normal print", especially an
11x14 or larger (which, IMHO, is all that counts in this comparison) is
very much different than a "normal screen display" so I don't understand
how your 400x400 image can represent either one.

I don't understand your continuing fascination with trying to show that
film is as good digital.  I gave up on film (mostly) when the digital
got to be as good as or better than the film because the digital gave me
better results via the ability to do post-processing without the bother,
time and expense of film and scanning.  But I still find a simple film
camera to be very valuable when you need something light and compact and
can't be bothered with batteries and backups.

Chuck Norcutt