[OM] Re: Highland Park and the neighborhood

Subject: [OM] Re: Highland Park and the neighborhood
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 09:53:18 -0400
I can relate to your comment.  Before moving back to upstate New York
from Boston (after a 35 year absence) I had many visions of taking
bucolic landscape photos like GeeBee's.  The way you get to where I live
(near Bihghamton) from Boston is to drive down I-88 from Albany.  That
road runs along a mountain ridge overlooking valleys filled with rolling
farm land, streams and the head waters of the Susquehanna river.  It's
absolutely gorgeous.  The problem is that scenery like that is actually
quite a distance away from here.  I assumed it was all around here as
well.  In fact, that type of terrain is here and used to be like that
but now, what used to be farms, has grown back into forest much like the
area surrounding Boston.  I've made several forays of 30-40 miles
distance and found very few farms.  Those few I have found are on
moderately busy country roads that have absolutely no shoulders.  Simply
put, there's no place to park the car except in some farmer's driveway.
  I haven't given up but I haven't found the right place yet that's not
an hour's drive away.

Yesterday was a beautiful early fall day and I decided I had to take
advantage of it somehow.  The park where most of the photos were shot is
only about 3 blocks away.  The little memorial garden is in honor of the
3 local residents who were killed on 9/11.

Chuck Norcutt