[OM] Re: Highland Park and the neighborhood

Subject: [OM] Re: Highland Park and the neighborhood
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 16:05:03 -0400
Thanks for looking.  Sorry to hear that your Highland Park is all
asphalt and concrete but there's gotta be some photo ops in and around
those Chinese restaurants.  I haven't been to Long Beach in many years.
  Probably to see the Queen Mary and the Spruce Goose the last time I
was there.  That will date the trip since I know the Spruce Goose is
long gone.  My memories of Long Beach even when I lived in So. Cal as a
kid some 48 years ago was that it was covered with oil rigs.

Our Highland Park also has an old but restored carousel.  I'll have to
check for photos.  Actually there are 6 restored carousels in the area
and we are sort of famous for that.  From Wikipedia on carousels:
Binghamton, New York is considered the "Carousel Capital of the World"
due to the six original carousels in the Triple Cities area, donated by
George F. Johnson, owner of the Endicott-Johnson Company early in the
20th century. These Carousels were donated with the express stipulation
that they would never charge admission for anyone to ride them.
Apparently when Mr. Johnson was a child he was frequently too poor to
ride the local carousel and he vowed this would never happen to another
child in the area. The carousel at the Ross park zoo in Binghamton, NY
does charge admission (kind-of) as it requires the child to drop one
piece of litter found in the park into a trash barrel in order to ride.
This is all written on a plaque at the entrance to the carousel.

Chuck Norcutt