[OM] Re: [OT] help any one know what's been eating at this floor and roo

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] help any one know what's been eating at this floor and roof beams
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 21:57:50 +1000
The UK suffers from 'woodworm' which attacks dead wood. Those are
definitely borer galleries in the floorboards which could be exposed
by the sanding back during renovation. There is a 'powder post
beetle' (?) and the notorious 'death watch beetle' which attacks
ancient oak beams in churches (pray for geebee that the roof should
not fall). Whatever that is in the roof trusses is much larger
Here we have termites which will run a board, softwood or hardwood,
kiln dried or not,  and hollow it apart from a paper thin skin, often
leaving the adjacent board untouched. They will not touch any live
wood. I've just had to rip up part of a floor. Lousy job. That's what
a digeridoo is - a termite hollowed limb (they eat the dead heart).
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx