[OM] Re: OK, Fidel, let's line them up and shoot them down . . .

Subject: [OM] Re: OK, Fidel, let's line them up and shoot them down . . .
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 02:13:54 -0700
Willie Wonka wrote:
> Sooo...Do we all agree that we can create an [OT] "Critique This Picture,
> Please" in which we can submit photos and get useful suggestions or ask for
> tips how to accomplish certain task in PS or whatever one is using?
>   Despite considering everyone on this list a good friend, I have never felt
> comfortable asking for it when needed...as a matter of fact, it always felt
> that this type of requests were a big no-no.

As others have said, I'm not sure where you got that idea. I've always
thought posting for comments, suggestions, etc. to be a positive thing.

Willie Wonka wrote:
> Well,
>   Now when you sez that...I need some help...
>   Here is the offending image:
>
> http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/alienspecimen/RI/?action=view&current=PICT0568bw.jpg
>   I really hate the triangular portion of clear sky on the left side of the
> picture.  I would like to either "stretch" the clouds down until they reach
> the horizon, but still look like a fan, meaning that the upper left corner
> will be clear of clouds as it is at present, or replace with a different sky.
>  I dont need an opinion on which to choose, I need directions for either
> method.
>   Please, be as detailed as possible when giving instructions.  I am going to
> use CS2 to accomplish the task.  My PS skills are pretty basic, but the good
> part is that I don't feel intimidated by the software, I actually enjoy
> tweaking pictures in PS when the time allows.  Unfortunately, as of lately, I
> barely have time for email...
>   Feel free to Moozifikate any way you want, if needed I will post a larger
> image.

I found the responses interesting, and effective in responding to your
direct request. I have, not unexpectedly, a different approach. It seems
to me that the triangle of sky seems troublesome at least in part
because what should be the primary focus of the image is so flat it
doesn't hold the eye. If the lighthouse, rocks and surf are enhanced,
they add enough 'body' to the image that it seems complete to me without
messing with additional clouds.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Boris/PICT0568bw.htm>

Whether adding clouds is less 'pure' than adjusting tonality, I don't
know, or much care. I do know that my first reaction to the image was to
wonder why the splashing waves weren't whiter, which led to questioning
the whole tonal and contrast balance.

Cropping a little off the left side and top would put the lighthouse
light at the double rule of thirds position, if it is desired as the
primary subject.

Moose